Sportswriter and TV personality Michael Wilbon shared this opinion about Alex Ovechkin:
[He] is bordering on out of control. He’d do well to get himself under enough control to concentrate soley on leading his team to victory because that’s all Crosby seems fixed on.
This is hokum. Duh. But let’s pretend for a moment that Wilbon is right (he’s not), and figure out how he reached this decision.
Alexander Ovechkin’s recent crimes
- Flattening Jaromir Jagr in a vicious, but legal hit.
- Palming a camera shooting him and his friends.
- Hitting Tim Gleason knee-on-knee in November.
- Hogging three shoot-out attempts against the Slovaks.
- Avoiding the media, particularly the Americans in Vancouver.
(Feel free to provide more in the comments below.)
If you’re able to discern a pattern here, you are wiser than I. Rather, I’d submit that the following: Michael Wilbon and other sports writers demonize Ovechkin and lionize Crosby because it is in their explicit interest to do so.