Who knows what thoughts lurk behind those steely, impassive eyes… (Photo credit: Nick Wass)
This weekend has been quiet. Too quiet. Trade deadline is 3 PM today, so expect a great deal to go down before then. Here’s where you can come to get the all updates relevant to the Caps! Buckle up, folks, because here we go.
This post will be updated throughout the day. Freak out, stress, and speculate wildly in the comments below!
If you submitted a guess for the Trade Deadline Pick ‘Em contest, stay tuned! Whoever guesses closest to the time of the first Caps move will win some cool stuff.
- Caps move Nicklas Backstrom to LTIR. This allows them to add ~$7.6 mil in cap hits, as long as Backstrom stays on LTIR until the playoffs. We don’t like what this means for Nicky’s noggin, but it does mean the Caps may be planning a huge move.
- Montreal trades Andrei Kostitsyn to Nashville for second and fifth-round 2013 draft picks. He will join his younger brother Sergei, already on the team. Awwww.
- ESPN says Semin is “as good as gone” after this season. Should we prepare for the breakup now? Draw it out? Decide to just be friends?
- Brief twitter panic when Tomas Vokoun seemingly left the ice early, but Vokoun says this was because — well, practice was over. “They didn’t approach me,” he told Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno, “so I’m not going to speculate on that. I didn’t give it any thought and I’m not expecting it.” Mike Knuble and Roman Hamrlik also both say that they have not asked for trades, and that they have not spoken to McPhee today.
- Montreal claims Brad Staubitz, Winnipeg claims Grant Clitsome off waivers. Please try to contain your giggles, this is a very serious and professional establishment we are running here.
- Detroit trades Mike Commodore to Tampa Bay for a seventh-round pick, which is really too bad because he seems like a nice guy.
- Toronto trades Keith Aulie to Tampa Bay for Carter Ashton, which officially makes Tampa the most active buyer thus far. Which–what?
- Colorado trades Daniel Winnick and T.J. Galiardi, and a seventh-round pick to San Jose for Jamie McGinn, Mike Connelly and Michael Sgarbossa, because apparently they have no more first round picks to toss away with wild abandon.
- Columbus trades Sammy Pahlsson to the Canucks in exchange for two draft picks. We trying our best not to grasp wildly centers as they slip by.
- Ottawa trades Brian Lee to Tampa Bay for Matt Gilroy. Sixty minutes remaining. Go McPhee go.
- Winnipeg trades Johnny Oduya to Chicago for 2013 a second and a third-round pick. TSN anchors very upset to lose their favorite play on words.
- Islanders trade Brian Rolston to the Bruins for future considerations, which is kind of weird since they could have claimed him on waivers three hours ago.
Whew! Thrill meter right off the charts. It’s 3:00 PM but remember that trades only have to be submitted by 3:00, not reported! Now, we wait.
- Caps team says that it appears no moves will be made, and McPhee will address the media at 5 PM. …
- Buffalo trades Paul Gaustad to Nashville. Hi, center. Bye, center.
- Bruins trade Steve Kampfer to the Wild for Greg Zanon.
- Blackhawks trade defenseman John Scott to the Rangers for a fifth-round pick.
- Buffalo trades Matt Kassian and Marc-Andre Gragnani to Vancouver for Cody Hodgson and Alexander Sulzer.
And that’s all she wrote, folks. Not quite what we expected, but thanks for hanging with us anyway. Look for more coverage later on the fallout from the Tradeless Deadline Day!
No related posts.