Today is the day. At noon on Sunday, free agency begins. You should probably read the RMNB guide to free agency immediately.
This is your open thread. In here, we’ll post short little updates (with links to credible sources) about big signings and transactions as they happen. If it’s Caps-related, that bad boy will be bold-faced. Keep refreshing the page as the day goes on, as we’ll be updating throughout.
And sound off in the comments. This is your place to sound off about the departures and arrivals that stir you. We use fancy DISQUS comments now, so you won’t have to refresh to see new posts, just keep an eye out for the “new comments” prompt.
- Two hours to go. Two hours left in Mike Knuble’s contract and Alex Semin’s contract and Jeff Halpern’s contract. FEELINGS.
- One hour to go. After some buzz that he may re-sign with NJD, Zach Parise is definitely going to free agency.
- Almost 15 minutes in, no news yet. It’s gonna come fast and furious in a little bit. We hope.
- Not a UFA deal, but we have learned the details of Jordan Staal‘s deal with Carolina: 10 years, $60M. Woof.
- The Minnesota Wild reported that they have made offers to Zach Parise and Ryan Suter. We don’t often hear teams sharing that kind of info. Weird, right?
- Rumor: Philly is talking to Mike Knuble. That would be awful.
- FIRST ONE OF THE DAY! Goalie Jonas Gustavsson signed by the Detroit Red Wings. He’s the backup. 1.5M x 2 years.
- Joe Corvo has signed a one-year, $2M deal with Carolina, completely undoing the improvement they gained from getting Staal.
- Zenon “girl of the 21st century” Konopka has signed a 2-year deal with the Minnesota Wild.
- Ray Whitney has been signed to a big two-year contract with the Dallas Stars for $9M. Scratch him off the list.
- Zzzzzzzzzzzz… we’re in hour three. Pretty much all the top-10 free agents are still available.
- Arron Asham, the guy who knocked out Jay Beagle, signs with the New York Rangers, $2M over 2 years.
- The Penguins have signedTanner Glass, who is a pest, to a two-year contract with a cap hit of $1.1M.
- Finally a somewhat big name: Filip Kubasigns a two-year deal with the Florida Panthers. About $4M a year.
- Dustin Pennerhas re-signed with the LA Kings. One year, more than $3M. Pancakespancakespancakes.
- The Montreal Canadiens have signed Brandon Prust (ex-NYR) to a 4-year, $10M contract. Yowza.
- D-man Greg Zanon to Colorado Avalance for $4.5M over two years.
- Alexei Ponikarovskyhas been signed by the Winnipeg Jets. One year, $1.8M.
- Word on the street is we won’t hear about Zach Parise until tomorrow. Meanwhile, Shane Doan won’t make a decision until the Coyotes’ situation for next year is sorted out. That’ll be next week.
- Bummer. P.A. Parenteauhas signed with the Colorado Avalanche. Big contract: 4 years, $16M. He would have looked good in Caps red.
- Goalie Chris Masonwill back up Pekka Rinne in Nashville. One year, $1.25M.
- Why did we even put George McPhee‘s pic at the top of this post?