Awko taco (Photo credit: Patrick McDermott)
Everyone, including us, made a big deal about Alex Semin coming back to DC. But the star of Tuesday’s match-up between the Washington Capitals and Carolina Hurricanes wasn’t Sasha, it was the man, the legend, Joe Corvo.
Just kidding. That guy sucks.
The Caps put up a ton of offense from unlikely guys, including Erskine and Carlson — and also Backstrom, from whom goals have been scarce of late. The Caps took over possession in the second period and didn’t relent, firing a season-high 40 shots. On the other end of the ice, Braden Holtby was perfect. Great Caps hockey.
Caps beat Canes 3-0.
- Joe Corvo is the guy from Crazy Town (cf. star tattoos) Please discuss.
- Carolina’s Cam Ward was a stud, no moreso than when he piled up a horde of saves on Joel Ward shots, most of which came in the second period. Ward warded off one wonderful Ward shot for which he should be rewarded. Too bad his team left him out to dry.
- No relation between those two, by the way.
- Alex Ovechkin shots per game lately: 6, 5, 3, 5, 7, 4, 7. Tonight: 0.
- Troy Brouwer puts stuff where his mouth is or whatever that phrase is, effectively smothering Sasha Minor when on penalty kill. Aside from a shorty attempt, Alex Semin was kind of a nonstory. Bad for pageviews, good for Caps hockey. We’re not exactly heartbroken over here.
- Ba-room, ba-room, ba-room, baripity, baripity, baripity, baripity. Adam Oates has the power play running in high gear. That Nicky Backstrom goal (with shades of kanooblianism) was a finely tuned hot rod. The Caps have converted a PP in 9 of their last 10 games. And yes, that is a Bridge to Terabithia reference.
- Nick Backstrom was terrific in general. Instrumental in the Erskine goal and executive on the power play, Backstrom looked more involved than he has all season. Breakthrough imminent so long as he doesn’t cut his lovely Swedish hair.
- Maybe flip the script on that: cut your hair, scoar a dagger goal. Nice work by that clean-cut lad, John Carlson.
- So Big John Erskine signs a 2-year contract, scores a goal, and then gets his head slammed into the boards by some Carolina twerp. Erskine retreated to the locker room halfway through the third period and returned maybe eight seconds later with a fresh bucket of rusty nails to chew on.
- Light engagement tonight for Mike Green (just over 20 minutes on ice), whose groin had been making him groan of late and yes I do hate myself thank you for asking.
- Jason Chimera will never score again. Ever. I checked with the future, and they confirmed it. That third period chance could not have been chancier, and yet he was still denied. He fired 7 on net tonight in toto. RIP Jason Chimera goals 2000-2012.
Braden Holtby, you guys. As bad as his start to the season was, he’s been absolutely incredibly in the last few weeks. The kid is earning his paycheck and so much more. For a team that has had a hard time winning, having to score just one goal is manna from heaven. Does he get the start in Philly?
We need to bottle this game. Bottle it and drink it again tomorrow night. Flyers tomorrow night. Crash the net.