Horn Guy, Owen, and Matty P.
Ed. Note: Well, this stinks. Remember last year when Mathieu Perreault did all those celebrations? A couple fans came up with some super cool cutouts to partake in Perry Celly festivities. I wrote about it during the playoffs when the Caps were up
3-1 3-2 in the first round, but before we could post, Washington collapsed. A long summer ensued. We intended to finally publish this as the 2013-2014 season got started, but, guess what, Perreault got traded. Oops. Here it is anyway.
Mathieu Perreault is wild.
So are Caps fans.
In honor of Perreault’s crazy post-game celebrations, Kat and her boyfriend Owen could often be spotted during last year’s playoffs watching warmups from the front row, holding up a giant Matty P cardboard head, and waving around two gloves attached to popsicle sticks. Even for players accustomed to seeing things like the Brouwer Rangers (and their fanny packs) this provoked a second look for some Caps.
“Chimera was skating by, looked up, and he just broke out laughing,” Owen told me outside Verizon Center in May.
“It’s made Oleksy do a double take,” Kat continued. “Matty P smirked and he actually tried to throw a puck at us. He didn’t quite get it over.”
“He gets an A for effort,” Owen added.
Inspired by the myriad of GIFs, Owen says he and his brother Mike came up with the idea following Perreault’s original celebration. Kat then grabbed frames from the video and showed she actually paid attention during 4th grade craft lessons.
Kat sent us along instructions and images in case you wanna to make your own larger than life Matty P, in honor of our newly departed friend. How about we do that during warmups Thursday?
- Color Printer
- 8.5 x 11 paper
- Glue sticks or tacky glue
- Popsicle sticks
- Posterboard (Preferably 22″x28″)
- Clear shipping tape
- Print out the PDFs provided (head, left hand, and right hand)
- Cut out the PDFs along the edges.
- Assemble the head by matching the appropriate edges together.
- Glue the assembled head to the posterboard and let dry.
- Cut out Matty P out of the four assembled sheets
- Repeat steps 4-5 for each hand.
- Glue the popsicle sticks to the backside of each hand, with about half of the stick hanging off the edge of the bottom. Reinforce the stick to the hand with tape.