I was torn on whether or not we should do an open thread today. The Caps made some hugealicious moves yesterday, getting Dustin Penner for a fourth-round pick and sucking the Martin Erat out of the wound for assorted odds and ends.
But as of Wednesday morning, the Caps have $1.8M in salary cap space. They could still make moves. Plus, this open thread gives us all a chance to marvel at whatever dumb thing Holmgren does next and the continuing mass delusion that Ray Shero is improving his hockey team.
Updates below the jump and chaos in the comments. Let’s do it!
- It’s 10 AM. Is anyone doing anything dumb yet?
- Sportsnet is doing video coverage all day. Apparently they’re saying Martin Brodeur would be a big help in DC. Thoughts? Pitchforks? Torches?
- Fantastic deadline item by Dan Steinberg about trades with some great quotes by Brooks Laich: “you can get one bad apple in there that just stinks like a fart, and just wrecks the whole room or derails it a little bit.”
- Vancouver is the center of the universe today. In addition to Kesler, people are apparently clamoring for Alex Edler. I know Fedor would like him in DC.
- Sportsnet live stream link.
- CBJ reportedly trades Marian Gaborik to the LA Kings. I’ll update when we know the return. …or is this premature?
- Martin St Louis to NY Rangers for Ryan Callahan. Huuuuuuuuuuuuge. Except also tiny. Tampa also gets first and second round picks.
- Cory Conacher has been claimed off waivers by Buffalo. Very good move by a team in rebuild.
- It ain’t about the trade, but this is kinda pertinent. Lines via Katie (Volpatti is a placeholder; he wont’ be playing):
- More off-topic stuff: #KuzyaWatch continues! Could be in town this weekend.
- Ottawa will be renting Ales Hemsky from Edmonton for some draft picks. Aaaaalright, whatever.
- Quarter to 1PM, nothing from the Caps so far. Jose Theodore said he could see Tim Thomas come to D.C. Oh Jose… Lots of guys talking about the Caps wanting to trade for goalie depth… behind Holtby. That implies GMGM is shopping Neuvirth.
- Minor trade: Buffalo unloads Brayden McNabb and two 2nd round picks to LA in exchange for a pair of prospects. Buffalo is serious about this rebuild thing.
- The Penguins give some draft picks to the Panthers for solid depth center Marcel Goc. That’ll be a big help to their bottom six.
- Okay, now they’re coming in. The Canes send Tuomo Ruutu to the Devils.
- Big goalie trade! Tim Thomas from Florida to Dallas. So much for the Lu-Thomas tandem.
- THREE PM! NO MORE TRADES! Except for all the trades that are pending and yet to be announced.
- Ryan Kesler, basically the crown jewel of the deadline, will not be moved.
- The fire sale continues: Buffalo sends Matt Moulson to Minny. Cody McCormick goes with him. Torrey Mitchell to the Sabres.
- Nashville has traded their all-time leading scorer David Legwand to the Detroit Red Wings. The Wings really don’t wanna miss the playoffs…
- Tomas Vanek is going to Montreal Canadiens. These last two bullets are gonna make the playoff race interesting. The Isles get a 2nd round pick and a prospect– wow. That’s not a lot for one of the most anticipated trades of the day.
- Kind of big news by omission: Martin Brodeur remains a New Jersey Devil and will likely retire as one.
- Caps-Killer Jaroslav Halak to the Washington Capitals. Oh god Oh god Oh god Oh god Oh god Oh god Oh god Oh god.
- Michal Neuvirth reportedly in the trade to Buffalo. That’s not enough cap space. Either retained salary or another player involved.
Thanks, everybody. Shutting this thread down now. Follow us to the Neuvy-Halak thread!