The once and future franchise goalie, Braden Holtby might’ve suffered the Oates Effect worse than anyone else. But doesn’t that mean he’ll rebound higher than anyone else next season? Yes. Yes, it does. I think.
By the Numbers
|93.0%||5v5 save percentage|
|1107||5v5 shots faced|
|2.8||Goal support per sixty minutes|
|86.8%||Shorthanded save percentage|
|235||Shots faced while shorthanded|
When the season began, it looked like Braden Holtby had finally arrived. After another splendid postseason in 2013, Holtby had the number-one goalie slot locked down and was putting up stunning numbers. Then, in late November/early December, he slipped a bit. His confidence was off, and his numbers showed it.
Within a week he was on the bench, watching Philipp Grubauer get all the starts. Word spread that new goalie coach Olie Kolzig had changed Braden’s game per Adam Oates’ orders. The changes were bad. And yet– Holtby’s numbers on the season weren’t so bad overall.
During 5v5, only six goaltenders had a higher save percentage: Rask, Price, Bob, Varly, Bishop, and Bernier. That’s good company.
Here’s the part where the geeks might part company from me: I think Holtby is a world-class goaltender. Despite his “bad” season, he had really strong numbers at 5v5. The PK, which I literally virtually almost sorta guarantee will improve next season, was what really bit him. Holtby’s overall save percentage probably suffered from team effects and some ill-considered fiddling. If Holtby can play his style in front of a competent system next season– I think he could put up a performance that befits the label elite.
Take it to #thebank.
Holtbeast on RMNB
- Why Holtby’s much-discussed decline was just statistical noise that even great goaltenders experience.
- Near own-goal. Good times, good times.
- Like father, like son. Except dad played for Saskatoon and son got a shutout on HNIC.
- Speaking of– Holtby’s shutout in January turned his season around— and nearly saved the Caps’.
- Making the fans happy with a selfie. Obama and Ellen totally bit Braden’s style.
- From January: Get to know new Caps goaltender Braden Holtby. Haha. Still funny.
- Roenick is a dick.
- Holtby faced 46 shots– a career high and a team low (metaphorically)– on November 17th.
- Jason Chimera called EITM and told the class about Holtby’s leadership skills.
- Who among us has never signed a baby?
This had nothing to do with how many pucks Holtby stopped this season, so shut up. Freaking Ray Emery.
Knob save. This would be jokes if we could be sure it was deliberate.
Expect to see this helmet on Jan 1, 2015, by which point I better have a girlfriend I swear to god
Say whatever you want, but I swear if you gimme some line about how the Emery fight changed the season, I’m gonna key your car.
Do you think Holtby is elite? No, you don’t. But do you think he could be? Is it fair to wave away this season, citing the Oates Effect? And how bout that head of hair? I mean, god damn.
Read more: Japers Rink