Can we all agree that we like the beard? (Photo: Patrick McDermott)
The Caps’ last game before the All-Star Break began crackling with excitement, but quickly settled into the quiet urgency of a bunch of guys eager to get home for a long weekend. They couldn’t even manage to do that well, as the Caps squandered an early, healthy lead and lost in the gimmick.
Alex Ovechkin scored twice in the first period, first with a slapper on a delayed penalty and then again with an Ovi shot from the Ovi spot. Edmonton’s own number eight, Derek Roy, returned fire by beating Matt Niskanen to the niskanet. Before we hit intermission, Jay Beagle scored and there was much rejoicing.
Nikita Nikitin put the Oilers within one goal late in the second period while Niskanen was in the box.
In the third, Nick Backstrom tipped in John Carlson’s long bomb to put Edmonton back in the two-goal hole where they belong, though I guess maybe we forgot to tell them that. Teddy Purcell got a quick little snapper to Holtby’s far side to make 4-3 in the final five minutes, and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins tied it in the final 100 seconds, forcing overtime. Overtime didn’t do nuffin, so you know what’s next.
- Kuznetsov put the biscuit in the basket.
- Yakupov did NOT put the biscuit in the basket.
- Backstrom did NOT put the biscuit in the basket.
- Eberle did NOT put the biscuit in the basket.
- Ovechkin did NOT put the biscuit in the basket.
- Roy put the biscuit in the basket.
- Fehr did NOT put the biscuit in the basket.
- Purcell put the biscuit in the basket, of course he did.
Oilers beat Caps 5-4 in the shootout. That was dumb as hell.