High noon is almost upon us, and thus Free Agency Mania 2015 is near. As of 12 PM ET, all unrestricted free agents can sign with any team and restricted free agents can be signed to an offer sheet. It’s total mayhem.
- Here’s a look at the Caps’ salary cap situation.
- If you need a primer on NHL contract rules, including how RFA offer sheets work, this is a good resource.
- Matt Cane of Puck++ used historical data to predict UFA salaries.
- Ian broke the news last night that Joel Ward’s agent wants you to know that Joel Ward is in high demand.
- Over on Hockey Prospectus, I wrote about 3 UFA’s who are likely to be overpaid.
In terms of the Caps, the team is still looking to add a RW to play in the top six. They are also likely on the hunt for a third-line center and a right-handed depth defenseman. Brian MacLellan has already said that he expects to be more active in the trade market than in free agency, but don’t rule out the possibility of the Caps making a move today. Still, it might be quiet. That’s okay.
Even if the Caps don’t make a move, some (soon-to-be) ex-Caps could find a new home today. Need a refresher on who those dudes are?
|John Erskine, age 35||?||?|
|Eric Fehr, age 29||?||?|
|Tim Gleason, age 32||?||?|
|Curtis Glencross, age 32||?||?|
|Mike Green, age 29||Detroit||3 years, $6 M AAV|
|Joel Ward, age 34||?||?|
We’ll update this post with big news, but we’re depending on you to keep us informed in the comments. Go wild.