The finish line is in sight for the 2016-17 regular season and, despite Friday’s drubbing at the hands of the Coyotes and the fact that this Caps team will be judged by what they do in the playoffs, it’d be hard to argue this regular season in its entirety has been anything but a smashing success.
Here’s a non-exhaustive list of some of the reasons this regular season has been so great:
- For the first time in franchise history, the Caps had four separate win streaks of six games or more.
- Entering Sunday’s game against the Blue Jackets, the Caps lead the league in goal differential at plus-75. This is plus-15 more than the second place Blue Jackets. The Caps rank second in goals for and first in goals against.
- They have the league’s third most effective power play and seventh best penalty kill.
- Braden Holtby could win the Vezina again.
- TJ Oshie became a thirty-goal scorer for the first time in his career.
- Ten (!) players racked up 30 points or more and Jay Beagle (!!!!) only needs one more point to make it 11.
- Eleven players reached double digits in goals.
So yeah, this team has had an excellent season and has been a lot of fun to watch. While this won’t excuse anything that may or may not happen in the playoffs, it shouldn’t be forgotten that this is an era we’ll be able to look back on fondly.
Let’s do the snapshot and dig a little deeper into the numbers.